Sunday, November 20, 2016

How to read the errorlog on SQL Server installed on Linux



I finally installed SQL Server on Linux, while I was messing around with some queries, I noticed the following command fails with an error

exec xp_readerrorlog


The error is

Started executing query at Line 1
Msg 22004, Level 16, State 1, Line 0 Failed to open loopback connection. Please see event log for more information.
Msg 22004, Level 16, State 1, Line 0 Error log location not found.
Total execution time: 00:01:01.34


So how do you then look at the log on Linux? I don't have SSMS installed on the host machine where the Linux Virtual Machine lives. SQLCMD gives the same error. I don't know if it even works from SSMS from a windows box.

Edit: so it looks like it works from SSMS

To answer this question, the errorlog is stored in this location  /var/opt/mssql/log. You need to be a superuser to access this location

So in my case, I can just execute the following from a terminal in Ubuntu

sudo cat /var/opt/mssql/log/errorlog

And it looks like this


There you have it, this is how you can look at the error log

To see all my SQL Server on Linux posts, click here: SQL Server on Linux

No comments: